Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Make It Mine

I just finished reading the final book to a series I have been following for years. It was amazing! You know when you get to end of a really good series and you're attached to the characters? This one felt so real. I felt like I was part of the story and they were my actual friends and people I knew. I was so sad to see an end to it. I tried to drag out the read a bit so that it would last longer....but it was just so good!
One of my favorite parts about books is when authors choose to put in something very profound. And when they do this, I can't help but think that it is something they have learned in their life. Maybe about someone they have loved, somewhere they have been, or mistakes they have made.
And because it is coming straight from them to us, it makes me think. And I love it when it applies specifically to me...and in the process builds me up and makes me a better person.



"Making mistakes is part of learning to choose well. No way around it. Choices are thrust upon us, and we don't always get things right. Even postponing or avoiding a decision can become a choice that carries heavy consequences. Mistakes can be painful-- sometimes they cause irrevocable harm--but welcome to Earth. Poor choices are part of growing up, and part of life. You will make bad choices and you will be affected by the poor choices of others.

WE MUST RISE ABOVE SUCH THINGS."
~Fablehaven, Keys to the Demon Prison-Brandon Mull~

I happen to LOVE the twilight series. Some of my favorite quotes come from those books. So here are some of my favorites from Twilight.

But, terrified as I was, I couldn't bring myself to regret the decision. When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

"You're wrong, you know," he said quietly.
"What?" I gasped.
"I can feel what you're feeling now--and you are worth it."
"I'm not," I mumbled. "If anything happens to them, it will be for nothing.
"You're wrong." he repeated, smiling kindly at me.

"Twilight, again," he murmured. "Another ending. No matter how perfect the day is, it always has to end."
~Twilight~


Not long after I finished the Twilight series again after returning home from college, I re-read the Narnia series. C.S. Lewis has to be one the most inspired men that was not part of the Church in this life. He seriously was on the right track. And I guarantee you, that he is part of the great force in heaven right now.


"Laugh and fear not, creatures. Now that you are no longer dumb and witless, you need not always be grave. For jokes as well as justice come in with speech."

"The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed."

"When things go wrong, you'll find they usually go on getting worse for some time; but when things once start to go right they often go on getting better and better."



"Child," he replied, "that is why all the rest are a horror to her. That is what happens to those who pluck and eat fruits at the wrong time and in the wrong way. The fruit is good, but they loathe it ever after."

"All get what they want; they do not always like it."

"...There might be things more terrible even than losing someone you love to death..."
~The Magician's Nephew~




"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
~The Horse and His Boy~




"My own plans are made. While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise and Peepiceek shall be head of the talking mice in Narnia" 

"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"
"I shall be telling you all the time," said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder."
"Please Aslan, before we go, will you tell us when we can come back to Narnia again? Please. And oh, do, do, do, make it soon."
"Dearest," said Aslan very gently, "you and your brother will never come back to Narnia."
"Oh, Aslan!!" said Edmund and Lucy both together in despairing voices.
"You are too old, children," said Aslan, "and you must begin to come close to your own world now."
"It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are — are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan
. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name.  
This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
~The Voyage of the Dawn Treader~
"You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you," said the Lion. 
~The Silver Chair~ 


 


"It seems, then," said Tirian, smiling to himself, "that the stable seen from within and the stable seen from without are two different places."
"Yes," said the Lord Digory. "It's inside is bigger than its outside."
"Yes," said Queen Lucy, "In our world too, a stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world."

"You see," said Aslan. "They will not let us help them. They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out."

"Beloved," said the Glorious One, "unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek."

"I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this. Bree-hee-hee! Come further up. Come further in!

"There was a railway accident," said Aslan softly. "your father and mother and all of you are--as you used to call it in the shadowlands--dead. The term is over. The holidays have begun. The dream is ended. This is the morning."
~The Last Battle~



No comments: