Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bookworm

I find I am always looking for something good to read. I get into trouble when I go into bookstores, because I want to buy so many books. And I'm a sucker for books that have really interesting titles or covers.
As I was coming home from work a couple weeks ago, I stopped at a Smith's in Kearns to get some water. Not only did I come out with a bottle of water, but I came out with a book called The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and 2 gigantic sugar cookies. This book that I held in my hands is a Novella of Eclipse. Stephanie Meyer just can't seem to get away from her vampires. This book is the other side of the vampires. The side where you get to see how the REAL newborns think and act. Not the bogus kind Bella goes through in Breaking Dawn.
It was so interesting to see the other side of the vampire world. And to connect more pieces of the puzzle from Eclipse.
This book was heartbreaking from the beginning. Because you already know how it ends. You already know that Bree dies. But now you know the why behind it.
 A couple days after I finished the Eclipse novella, I went into Wal-Mart. Now, this gigantic blue and white store has already been a problem for me in the movie department...but now they have this wonderful section full of  books at amazing prices.
My poor wallet.
In this wonderful section, they have a huge portion devoted to the Twilight Saga books. I had already read all of them so I almost missed this next book. It is called Nightlight.
Nightlight is written my The Harvard Lampoon and it is a parody of Twilight. It is absolutely hilarious. It is about Belle Goose and Edwart Mullen set in the town of Switchblade. The book is about Belle and how she is so totally self absorbed. How she only thinks of things her way and refuses to see things in any other way than her own. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the book.

When it snows, the rules of parking no longer apply, so I stopped in the street and began to walk towards the school's side entrance. That's when it happened.
It wasn't in slow motion, like an old person walking, but it also wasn't in fast motion, like an old person running. It was like when you sip an energy drink with a skull on it, even though your mom said not to, and your brain kind of speeds up as you sip and then goes slower as you swallow and then speeds up and goes slower until you throw up. And then you drink another one on a dare.
It was careening towards me across the sky in a perfect arc, careening so quickly that I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of the way. I'd never imagined how I would die, but I had kind of hoped it would be in a war. I had never thought it would be like this: by snowball.
And then suddenly, Edwart was in front of me, his dark, curly-yet-disheveled tresses blocking my view as I heard a giant squish. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't even possible. Edwart had saved me.

"Promise me you'll never walk out in these streets alone again, Belle." His face contorted in fitful rage. Suddenly, he rolled down his window and shouted, "She plays Nintendo!" He inhaled deeply. "Play Nintendo," he breathed out. "I won't always be here to keep you safe from Sega."

About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him--which I assumed was wildly out of his control--that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, wished that he had kissed me.
The same day I walked out of Wal-Mart with Nightlight, I also walked out with a genius book called The Hunger Games.
May I just say that this book is absolutely incredible. I just finished it yesterday. I couldn't put it down once I started it.
It's about post apocalypse and the people who survived. There's a place called Panem, or the Capitol, that is in charge. There were 13 Districts after the end of the world that were all controlled my Panem. The Districts at one point rebelled and were beaten...with the 13th District completely obliterated. So now, every year, they take one boy and one girl from the ages of 12-18 from each District, put them in an arena, and have them fight to the death. Yes. Gladiator with kids. They do this to show the Districts that the Capitol is in utter control and there's nothing that can be done about it.
I was absolutely hooked from the first page. And there's a part in this book the specifically relates to me.

"Why don't you just be yourself?"
"Myself? That's no good, either. Haymitch says I'm sullen and hostile," I say.
"Well, you are...around Haymitch," says Cinna with a grin. "I don't find you so. The prep team adores you. You even won over the Gamekeepers. And as for the citizens of the Capitol, well, they can't stop talking about you. No one can help but admire your spirit."
My spirit. This is a new thought. I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it suggest I'm a fighter. In a sort of brave way. It's not as if I'm never friendly. Okay, maybe I don't go around loving everybody I meet, maybe my smiles are hard to come by, but I do care for some people.
If you're looking for a great book to read...I would whole heartedly recommend any of these books. But most especially The Hunger Games. Seriously.
And may I just say, it was even cooler reading it while on Lortab. :D

No comments: