BUT, we recently started emailing. Which is amazing.
I told him in one of my last emails how I was planning on going on a mission...and he is so so supportive. I could not ask for a better person to talk to about getting ready for everything I have coming up in the next year or so of my life. There are so many things I have coming up, and not enough time to prepare for any of them. But I know, through the Lord, all things are possible. And it will SO be worth it.
Anyway...he was giving me advice on the best ways he thought I could prepare for a mission. And I can tell just from this one email he sent me how much he has truly changed and become a better more wonderful person.
A mission seems to do that to people. And it is amazing to see the change. Miraculous somehow seems like the only word to come close to describing it.
Anyway, some of the advice he gave me, was something I really needed at this time is my life. This is what he told me.
"I think if there is anything to learn about missionary work it is that there is a wealth of negative and difficult experiences. You see a side of the church you never saw before and some times people become bitter because of it. It is impossible to have faith and be a pessimist. Don't let that discourage you if you are pessimistic, as I recall you aren't at all. Rather when we understand who we are and what we are doing, that knowledge is enough to light the darkest of all discouragement.
The world gains nothing from a pessimist, even a so called realist. It is the dreamers, the hopers, the builders, those that dare to have hope, the optimists, that create the world and all that is beautiful in it. Dare to dream and dare to hope. There are thousands, and even millions of prepared souls in the world. But without our faith they will not be found."
He has helped me more than he will ever know. Before his mission, during, and I'm sure afterward. I can't believe the wonderful fortune I have to call him friend. To know him and to be able to sit and talk with him. To watch him grow and progress to be all that he can be. And I love him for that.
Much love Elder Bennett. Please stay safe. And bring the people of South Korea the gospel. For they have been waiting much too long.
"The definition of being a missionary is living without your family for two years so that other people can live with theirs forever."
1 comment:
WOW, go Elder Bennet! Such amazing advice, sounds like he is having an amazing mission. Missions are so great! :)
Post a Comment