Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Story of How I Got a Job, and Then I Got Another Job

I don't blog a lot. I think that's probably pretty clear to whomever actually reads this. In the almost 5 years that I've had this thing, I only have 100 blogs. And let me tell you, I was going to do something super special for my #100. But, alas, I didn't pay attention to what number my last blog was and RUINED EVERYTHING!!

Poop.

Comparison. Me forgetting that my last blog was my 100th would be like someone forgetting that it was their birthday and not remembering until the next year! WTF?!




Okay. That is possibly, maybe, a touch dramatic. But, it was uber important to me! WAAHHH!!!

*I will survive, I will endure, hmm hmm hmm something something something....SURVIVOR!*

Anyway. Ever since quitting my phleb job at the U, I've been on a world wide, state-wide, ahhh....county wide search for a job. Mind you, this hasn't been one of those "job searches" where I apply for a couple of jobs online, sit around all day watching tv, drowning in my own filth, and hoping my parents will give me gas money so I can go to the store once in awhile....while still thinking I was doing my part in looking for a job. This is a job search where within 2 weeks I had 6 job interviews. I was applying for jobs everywhere I could think of...that met certain criteria.

Pause. I had quit my job at with the U with the plan that I would have plenty of money to pay for my phone bill for the next few months and a few other things, no problem. Then, I remembered that I was behind on my tithing in a big way. So, this was me knowing that I needed to pay my tithing, but freaking out because I can't just not pay my phone bill. *Hi, Verizon, ummm I'm not going to be able to pay my phone bill for awhile because I had to pay my tithing.* 

NO. I knew that was not gonna fly. So, God and I had a very good discussion, which ended in me paying my tithing and hoping everything would turn out alright.

Play. No fast food, retail, selling anything (because I'm too nice), full time (or almost full time...or something that had potential to become full time), not anywhere farther north than south jordan, and something that looked like I could fit in well.

Surprised I could find any jobs to even apply for?

Me too. But nevertheless......I went and did!

In case you've never had the wonderful experience of having 6 job interviews within 2 weeks, let me tell you how it was.

Dreadful. Awful. No good, very bad 2 weeks. I know I know, 2 weeks on the job hunt. Not really that long. But I was freaking out. My face was showing the stress too because I started to break out ALL.OVER. Gross.

A couple of the interviews I had I didn't even want. A couple of them were group interviews, where I knew going in that I wasn't going to get it. And I was constantly having to get ready and look really nice for these people that I was trying to impress. I mean, I don't mind looking good, but I don't want to look THAT good every day. I mean, I know I may have fooled you all, but I have to leave some room for improvement.

*Seeming topic change that will make sense at the end.*

My family, namely my extended family on my mom's side...and my mom....are all up in each other's business  ALL.THE.TIME. Which can get kind of annoying. Like my uncle asked for my email address the other day, through my mom, and I told him, not just no, but HECK NO! You know why? Because then he would have yet another avenue to contact me with. And not just him...EVERYONE else in the family. Because they just reply all. Did you catch that? Reply. All. And they're still stuck in the phase of forwarding....everything....

My family is so up in each other's business  that when I tell my mom stuff, if it's important stuff that I want to keep to myself for awhile, I have to tell her to not tell anyone, especially the family.

This all comes together. Wait for iiiitttttttttt....

SO, my cousin had a baby shower a few days before Thanksgiving. And of course, as soon as my mom gets there, she starts telling all of our family about how I'm looking for a job, and how hard my graveyards were, and how hard I'm trying to find a job and blah blah blah. But she can't just tell them all at once. She has to tell them one by one. Yep. (mom, I know you'll read this eventually. don't get mad. I really am grateful.)

Fortunately, because of her telling everyone one by one, she hadn't gotten to my OTHER cousin yet. And because of how my family is, she came to ME and got all up in my business and asked how I was doing. Man, can you believe these people. Caring. BAH! (note the sarcasm......I don't know how well it's coming across.)

Little did I know, she had a really good friend in Lehi and they were hiring someone for their company. We go into the office and shoot her a lovely Facebook message and hope something comes from it.

And, this is where the blessings start pouring in.

I get a call from the girl on our drive home asking for an interview the next day. I get a job offer, for that job, the following Wednesday. I get paid 300 ish dollars more from the hospital than I was expecting. I start a job with wonderful people and am catching on very quickly. I'm doing SO well.

And then.

I get a call Monday from one of the places I applied and interviewed with like a month ago. A place where the interview went SUPER well. I thought it was a done deal....and I got the reject email. I had asked her for some feedback, because I really wanted to know how I could have done ANY better in that interview. I mean, it really was THAT good.

So, she calls, and starts off with, "I don't think this conversation is going to go how you think it will."

Okayyyyy........

Basically, she wants to call my references. Specifically, only two of them.

*ashley starts freaking out*

Of course I agree. And guess what I wake up to yesterday morning? A call offering me the full time, benefits included, awesome phleb job that was the one that I really really really wanted but didn't get the first time around.

And guess what I told that lady.





YES! (you thought I was going to say yes didn't you? I applaud your intuition.)


I proceeded to tell my family. And then Jeannie (the word Jeannie is a link to her blog...you just can't see it because I'm too lazy to change the link color). Because I tell Jeannie all big news in my life.





And then I had my mama take this picture so that I could use it for my Day 4 photo for the Capturing December Photo Challenge I'm doing on Instagram.



Guess what the challenge was today. Oh, I'll just tell you. It was #joyous. I feel like I look pretty darn joyous right there.

I start there on Monday. I'll be doing half days there while I finish up my job with Administrative Assistant job. And Christmas is coming. But I bought most of my presents tonight.

I have one thought to leave you with.




Pay Your Tithing. Whatever you need to do to make it happen, do it. You will be blessed in ways that you can't even tell right now.

The blessings started coming in, and they haven't stopped. And I can't help but be extremely grateful.

.ashley.

p.s. my boss came up to one of the other girls that I work with today and showed her a penny followed with, "Heads, I'm cooler than you. Tails, I'm way cooler than you." And proceeded to flip it. That's how cool my current job is. :) You can be jealous.

1 comment:

mrsbutterworth said...

I love you and I think you are awesome, just so you know. And yes, our family is all up in our face but hey, it is what it is!