Monday, December 12, 2011

Jewish Church

There are two people that I'm realizing that I love more and more.

Person #1: Met early 2007. She has red hair. And she also has a soul. And a brain injury (past tense). I used to be scared of her. Cuz she was a big bad Head Guard and I didn't know if she liked me or not.

Person #2: Met later in 2007. Was also scared of her cuz she was a big bad Head Guard. She had this best friend that turned out to be a poop head that I was scared of as well cuz he was scary-ish. She's a nurse now. A kick-butt nurse btw.

They are both about 4 years older than me. And I have absolutely no idea why they even put up with me. Cuz, let's face it, I'm pretty obnoxious. :p

And I've realized a few things about them. They are the two people that I look up to the most in my life. They embody what I want to be as my life progresses. They've been where I want to be. And it's crazy how they've managed to hold onto who they are, and still be the amazing people that I see before me.

Anywhoo, we went to Jewish Church on Saturday morning. And it was AWWWSUUMMM!!!! The whole way up there we were making Jewish-ish jokes and talking about kosher food and crap. We had to get it out before the meeting.

Thankfully, we only had one close call on the way there. One where both people in the front seat were screaming. I was cool though. Chill if you will.

So we walk in to Jewish Church and were greeted by...nobody. Ha. It was great. We just started aimlessly walking around trying to figure out where the sanctuary was. Then we got attacked by the assistant Rabbi or something. She was super nice and kept saying, "Shabbat Shalom" to everyone. She kinda told us what was going on and then set us loose again.

Needless to say, we're snoopers. We like to snoop. Maybe it's a pool staff thing. But we found the "Primary Rooms" of Jewish church. One of them had a star of David playmat. And both of them had gigantic loaves of bread for the kiddos to eat. What the heck?!? Jealous. Although, we did get fruit loops and marshmallows.

Then we calmed ourselves, found another Mormon couple that was doing the same thing we were, and went into the synagogue to start the service.

A couple interesting facts:
-The Rabbi was a girl.
-They did pretty much the WHOLE service in Hebrew. Good thing I've been studying. *NOT*
-While doing everything in Hebrew, they do it in kinda this chant sing-song kinda thing. It's pretty cool. At a couple parts, the whole congregation started chant/singing along and it reminded me of Fiddler on the Roof.
-Fiddler on the Roof may or may not be close to what they believe. But it's cool anyway.
-They have a lot of truth. Just not all of it.
-The guys wear little hat/cap things and shawls. That are BOMB bytheway.
-The service lasts for 3 hours. In one room. Kill me.
-We left after 2 hrs.
-You can't cook food on Shabbat.
-They want you to eat great food, sleep, and spend loving time with your kids.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience. There are 4 main things I learned.

1. There's always one crazy guy in every church. This old guy kept walking around, chant/singing when it got really quiet, and was always shaking peoples hands.
2. Put your prayer book to the Torah when the Rabbi walks by instead of just standing there, smiling, and looking very awkward.
3. Learn Hebrew if you're going to Jewish Church.
4. Be LDS. I think the biggest thing it taught me is how much I really do love being LDS.

Everyone should experience it.

We're going to a Catholic Midnight Mass in SLC on Christmas Eve.
Followed in a little bit by a visit to the Muslim Mosque.

And to my girls. *Colonoscopy....AAAAAaaaaaaMMMMEEEnnnnnnnnnn*

No comments: