Monday, July 2, 2012

Fast and Tell-A-Story Meeting

Brother and I, well, we HATE fast Sunday. With a passion. And not because we have to fast. We're cool with that. We just have our opinion of what a testimony is....and we're right.
Testimonies should be testifying of truths and beliefs. You wouldn't go up to someone on the street and say, "I know the church is true. I love my mom and dad. This week/month/year has been so hard for me. When my dog Ringo died last week, it made me remember the movie Lassie, and how the boy loved his dog so much, and it made me feel the Spirit so *starts crying* strong. Yadda Yadda Yadda."





A testimony is NOT a travelog, a time for fancy wording, too much information, arrangements with others, crying, sniffling in the microphone, going up more than once, letting little kids go up that don't know what to say and have to have a parent or sibling help them, confessing sins, or spewing your love for your spouse over the pulpit.

It should be.
  • I know the church is true and this is why.
  • I know the Book of Mormon is true and this is why.
  • I know missionary work works and this is why.
  • I know this...
  • I believe that....
  • I feel that....
  • AND THIS IS WHY I KNOW/FEEL/BELIEVE THAT WAY.
But no. Mormons don't get it. Pfft.

So, instead of playing Temple Run on my ipod, poking brother, sleeping, or talking to my neighbor.....we used THIS.

Not only did we pay attention in sarament meeting...we were emotionally invested, payed attention, and were smiling pretty much the whole time.

*Friendly hint. Laminate them and use dry erase markers. Also...sit in the back. And when people walk by you...try to hide your paper so they can't see what you're doing.

Here is a sample of 1 of the 4.



We're gonna revamp it for Singles Ward. Stay tuned.

.ashley.

No comments: