Sunday, March 20, 2011

Serenades by Minors

Sooo....I just got done with, yet, another Lifeguard class yesterday. Can I just say....this class was SO hard. For both of us. (Ken and me) I don't know what it was about this class. It was just super difficult. A lot of the kids didn't know even basic stuff already, so we had to spend a lot of time on those kinds of things. Like how to do a feet first surface dive to get you to the bottom of the 12 ft area.
But let me tell you a few things about this class that were pretty awesome.
Our first A.F. day, where we have to do our deep water stuff, we brought Kelsey along to help out with the saves. We had just gotten done demonstrating a save and turned away for a couple seconds...only to look back and see a line of 6 or 7 guys all holding hands and swimming back and forth, humming some song. And I KNOW which two people were the instigators of it all.
Let me introduce you to two of the boys in my class.
Hunter and Conner. 
Let me just preface this by saying, they're straight.
They also weren't real life friends when they started the class. Hunter is a Varsity football player for Lehi, and Connor is a Backstroker for Lone Peak. 

(Connor Left, Hunter Right)

These two were the reason that I didn't pull Ken's hair out during the class. hahahaha.....no, but really. It was that bad. I just value my hair too much. :p This was CPR day, and it was nearing the end of class. I'm pretty sure they were just trying to stay awake. Connor decides it would be a good idea to grab one of the infant CPR dummies and use it as a pillow. I'm thinking Hunter just wanted to use Connor's shoulder as a pillow though, cuz Connor ended up holding the baby.....

Story time.
First A.F. day, we find out....Hunter can't smack talk. All he can say is, "aPSH!" which all of us got a serious kick out of. I'm pretty sure we're going to be doing that for a long time.
Same day, we're having our Hot Tub meeting and Connor thought I said something about drugs. Which I didn't. It was a word close to drugs....but....not. Anyway, right after that he says he's goes to Lone Peak. BAD choice of words. Cuz right after that we started teasing him about how he was the only one in the class that would be able to afford drugs. And that stuck for the whole class as well.
Next A.F. day...Hunter and Connor were singing during class and I didn't get to hear it. So they promised me that they would sing to me in the hot tub. And they came off with singing Teenage Dream by Katy Perry. Bahahahahaha, it was AMAZING! And a little disturbing.
Hunter and Connor also had a man-crush on Ken. Which was very amusing. Because Ken played into it. Every time Ken would leave the room or we'd be done for the night, the both of them would say stuff like, "I love you Ken! You're hot! You're amazing!" And then give him an awkward man-hug embrace.

Time to introduce you to another person in the class. Her name is Madi. On CPR day we were doing conscious choking victims, and I was having them practice back blows and abdominal thrusts. I also told the victims to pick a time to "pass out" and become dead weight so that the rescuers could get practice dealing with it and putting their weight in the right place. Well...Madi got partnered up with Hunter. Madi is about 5'5" and MAYBE 120 lbs. Hunter is about 6'0" and I'm guessing around 180 lbs of pure muscle and bone. This kid is BUILT. Silly football players. He's only 16. C'mon.
Basically, the first time she tried...she dropped him on his face. But he caught himself at the last minute in a perfect push-up. I'm telling you, this kid is strong.
Anyway, I could tell Madi was scared and didn't want to do it again and drop him. But, being the amazing teacher I am said, "You can do it. Put your weight in the right place like I showed you and when he passes out lean back right away. But DON'T drop him. No pressure."
So she starts again and does exactly what I said. It was perfect. He passes out, she catches him and starts laying him back on the ground and is being very careful. She lets go of his arms just like I demonstrated so that his head wouldn't hit the ground. She's holding on to his head and gets it about 2 in. from the ground and DROPS his head on the hard tile floor. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Poor kid. His head sounded so hollow at that moment.
So the night of the second A.F. day, Hunter promised us he would sing again on the last day. We get to end of the day, and he starts saying he doesn't really want to anymore. So, with much pleading and me promising that I wouldn't put the video on YouTube or Facebook....they agreed to do it. Ha, they didn't make me promise that I wouldn't put it on my blog though. I love loopholes.

So, I give you...a cover of Ke$ha's song, Tick Tock, by Hunter and Conner.







I have to put a plug in for my amazing co-instructor Ken and my incredible and phenomenal friend Kelsey who came to help with A.F. days and CPR day. I would have died without them. Second A.F. day, Kelsey and I were huddling on a rescue tube for warmth and I turn to her and say, "You know...in this equation I'm the Master, Ken's the Padawan, and you're Yoda." And I totally agree with that statement.

I also got really bored on First Aid day. And when I get bored....this is what happens.

Followed by this.

And this is what happens when i grab Jordan really fast to help with a save on test day.

(Secondar-ayy!!)

Love my job :D

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

Somehow this makes me fear for Lehi pool. ha ha

swimkelsey said...

Dear Ashley,
I love the post! Basically I just read it again and started laughing out loud and my roommates were looking at me like I was crazy... so I explained it to them... and they felt really good about it! Just thought you should know :) Love you!!
Love Kelsey