When I'm at work, I like to torture the guards that I have been made in charge of for the short amount of time that I'm there. I have come up with a list of about 40 things to ask them about lifeguarding while they're on break. Just to keep them on their toes. And to make them feel good about themselves when they pick the numbers that have the super easy questions.
Last Saturday, I was in the middle of my torture and we veered from the standard lifeguard questions, just a bit, after one of the kids said something quite astonishing. I don't know how we got to the question, but I somehow asked if he was a Democrat or Republican. And THIS, is how the conversation went.
Ashley: So are you a Democrat or Republican?
Stetson: I'm a Democrat. Well...I'm whichever one Obama's not.
Ashley: A Republican?
Stetson: Well, I know one raises taxes and one does...good stuff.
I was laughing really hard. Partly from sheer hilarity, partly from complete and utter shock that he honestly didn't know the difference between the two. This kid is a Junior in high school.
So I just HAD to know if some of the other kids knew what the difference was. I asked them. They answered.
Ashley: Hey Ciara, can you tell me what the difference is between a Democrat and a Republican?
Ciara: Democrats are stupid!
Ashley: Besides that?
Ciara: Well I know one's red and one's blue. Democrats vote for Obama.
Ashley: I am so glad you can't vote yet. I'm scared for our country.
And yet another kid.
Ashley: Hey Mason, can YOU tell me the different between a Democrat and a Republican?
Mason: One's a elephant and one's...another animal. What's the other one?
Ashley: A donkey.
Mason: Oh, that's what I was thinking, but I would have said it inappropriately.
Ashley: Blank Shocked Stare in Mason's general direction.
I seriously can't believe that these kids are almost out of high school and can't even tell me good differences between the two. I'm actually kind of surprised they even know what the words Democrat and Republican mean.
I finally asked two other kids and they were able to give me very intelligent answers and then started arguing about a couple of political points and got our boss involved as well. It's sad that you can already separate the kids at the pool into the successful ones and the working class. But luckily, if their teachers and parents step it up in the next couple years, they might have a fighting chance. But, I won't hold my breath for that one.
Seriously kids.. STAY IN SCHOOL!

No comments:
Post a Comment