Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Am A Believer

So. I got done with my very boring, VERY lame math class today and booked it down to the library so that I could get a computer before all the freshman take them all. My whole object of going to the library computers was so that I could watch the latest episode of Glee before my next excursion on Utah's fine public transport system so my EMT class. BLEH.
I absolutely love Glee. It's a show about singing, dancing fools that try and make a name for themselves like the cheerleaders and the jocks. But honestly, at least in my high school, it was the other way around. The Drama/Choir kids were way cooler than the "higher class" of retarded cheerleaders that fell down and the football jerks that couldn't win one football game unless we were playing a 3A Catholic school.
Unfortunately, like any tv show nowadays, they have some things I definitely don't agree with.
Sadly, this is one of those episodes.
It was called Grilled Cheesus. Finn, the main guy of the show, made a grilled cheese sandwich that when cooked...looked like it had a burnt picture of Jesus on it.
Kurt, the gay child of this modern television show, doesn't believe in God. And his dad just had a heart attack. The whole glee club is having a hard time with this. Finn starts praying to the grilled cheese sandwich to try and get answers and then some bad things happen "because" of it.
Finn goes to talk to the advisor of the school, Emma, and this is what she tells him.

"Emma: God works in all kinds of mysterious ways. But I'm pretty sure He doesn't spend a lot of time trying to speak to us through sandwiches. You look disappointed.
Finn: I am. It was sorta cool feeling like I had this direct line to God. Now I just feel like everybody else. You know like we're all just floating around in space. I don't like that.
Emma: You're not alone. The big questions are really big for a reason. They're hard. But you know what? Absolutely everybody struggles with them."

I disagree.

Not everyone struggles with those kinds of questions. Because as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints...I have those answers.

In a devotional last weekend, by Jon Bytheway, he asked us, "If someone were to look at your facebook and profiles and blogs...would they be able to tell you are a believer? Would they be able to tell what you stand for?"

And my answer is yes. I believe.
We do have a DIRECT line to God. We do have a way to talk to Him and for him to talk to us. I know who I am. I know where I came from. And I KNOW where I'm going.

No comments: